Portobello Slider Buns:
- 2 portobello mushrooms for each hungry mouth
- a few dashes of aminos of choice (I used raw coconut)
- a few dashes of liquid smoke (optional)
- a few turns of fresh cracked pepper
- a dusting of garlic powder
Remove the stems, peel and douse each mushroom with the aminos, liquid smoke and spices. Use a basting brush to work the mixture into the gills.
Place in the dehydrator (Click here for my choice of dehydrator) on 110° until tender but still dry on the outside. In the meantime prepare the Jackfruit BBQ.
This recipe was heavily inspired by my dear friend Marina. Here is a link to the original.
- 5 dates
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- few slices of sweet onion (to taste) – optional
- 8 grape tomatoes
- 1 tablesoon of apple cider vinegar or a few squeezes of lemon.
- handful of washed cilantro leaves
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- a few dashes of liquid smoke
- 3- 4 cups fresh jackfruit
Blend all ingredients in a blender (I used a Vitamix) except the jackfuit until smooth.
Add the Jackfruit into the blender and pulse until roughly the consistency of Pulled pork.
Dehydrate along with the slider buns or until warm.
Creamy raw vegan coleslaw:
- 1/2 small purple cabbage
- 1/2 small green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium red onion
- Acid to taste/1-2 tablespoons (apple cider vinegar, coconut vinegar, lemon etc.)
- Sweetener to taste/1-2 tablespoons (date syrup, maple syrup, agave, etc.)
- Salt to taste/1-2 teaspoons
- 1 cup or more Cashew Mayo (recipe below)
Chop cabbage into manageable pieces and either shred or wet chop in the vitamix. Click here for a video on this method.
Shred and slice the carrot and red onion (I also use the wet chop method for this).
Place the whole mixture into a nut milk bag, cheesecloth or other mesh bag, as pictured below, and squeeze all of the water out. Alternately you can use a strainer.
Now make the Slaw!
Mix the slaw ingredients together in a large mixing bowl adjusting the Acid, Sweetener and Salt until you get the taste just right.
Putting it all together…
Place your slider bun, heft a massive scoop of Jackfruit BBQ, douse it in Slaw and top with the other lonely slider bun.
Grab a bath towel and dig in!
I double the batch so I have plenty as well as some left over for Raw Vegan BLTs 🙂
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt of choice
- 1/2 small clove of garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Blend till smooth adding a little water if too thick.